Team Lead, Instructional Design
- Full Time
Job Title: Team Lead, Instructional Design
Location: Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto
We are looking for someone to help lead our team of instructional designs. The successful candidate is an innovative designer and an industry expert. Positively impacts team culture, bringing inspiration and fun to work every day. You’ll reap the rewards of your leadership efforts by watching the team grow and deliver exceptional customer service and industry-leading learning to our clients.
Functional role responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), clients and internal stakeholders to conduct needs/audience analysis and develop learning objectives
- Drive team collaboration to a shared understanding of course content and requirements to arrive at an effective graphic approach, technical development, navigation, and functionality with members of the development team
- Design and develop training collateral to support a variety of training options including instructor-led, eLearning, virtual classroom and blended
- Work closely with designers, developers and other staff to deliver world-class, quality solutions
- Ensure quality of work output is of the highest standard
- Establish clear lines of communication with colleagues and customers
- Follow all workplace health and safety protocols.
Leadership responsibilities include:
Team Performance and People:
- You will lead a team of instructional designers
- You will coach and provide opportunities to grow their skills, provide career path opportunities, give regular feedback and create a collaborative and open environment
- Serve as an advisor for your team
- Participate in the development of role principles, processes, and plans
- Collaborate through cross-functional teams to accomplish established corporate and team goals and effectively manage relationships
- Responsible for supporting vision, planning and defining team objectives, and leading execution of objectives
- Work with management to drive productivity, efficiency, and hold the team accountable for high-quality outcomes
- Play a key role in interviewing and onboarding new team members. Provide expertise and coaching/mentorship to the team members.
- Produce and actively participate in knowledge sharing as well as professional development initiatives
- Promoting a positive and effective work environment
- Collect, summarize, and share team activities, metrics, and other information on a regular basis.
Solutions & Offerings:
- Drive innovation and continual improvement within the department
- Work with all department teams to seek, share, and adopt ideas and best practices inside and outside the company to drive the application of proper development and design strategies
- Gather and analyze client needs by conducting requirements analysis sessions or other appropriate means
- Proactively look for opportunities to grow the business and provide value to existing clients and prospects through new and improved capabilities and practices across the team.
Clients and Projects:
- Assist in the assignment of projects based on knowledge of team skills
- Assist with the management of the library of commonly used assets and design templates
- Handle client and internal escalations related to team capabilities
- Review, create and update documentation and knowledge base articles for use by both staff and clients.
- Other duties may be assigned based on need.
- Ideally, the candidate will have a Master's degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience designing and developing online courseware and learning solutions – preferably in a customer-facing environment
- Experience supporting multiple customer segments is considered an asset - K-12, Higher Education, Corporate, Government
- Previous people leadership responsibilities are preferred
- In-depth knowledge of instructional design principles and practices including the ADDIE model, adult learning principles, interactive learning design and blended learning techniques
- In-depth knowledge of industry-standard instructional design and content authoring tools
- Innovative and creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong analytical, consulting and organizational abilities
We have artists, designers, talkers, planners/chasers, pool players (less during COVID), video-game heroes (more during COVID), musicians, pranksters, and athletes. We have family people, single people, happy people.
Our Hiring Process
Step 1: You stumble across this posting
Step 2: You chuckle at salespeople being referred to as talkers
Step 3: The posting piques your interest
Step 4: You apply, letting us know of your interest
Step 5: You meet with ICOM’s Director of Operations
Step 6: You take part in our fun culture-fit interview
Step 7: You realize work and life can be balanced
Enough About You, What About Us
ICOM is an award-winning eLearning company. Our team is made up of more than 50 learning specialists, including Instructional Designers, Project Managers, Writers, Graphic Designers, and Software Programmers.
At ICOM, it's our mission to challenge and inspire the world to learn differently. Over our 24-year history, we’ve developed hundreds of online education programs for some of Canada’s biggest and best-known companies. From modifying behaviours to driving business objectives, ICOM uses cutting-edge technology, such as virtual reality and 360-degree video, to help produce real on-the-job results. Sound like fun? That’s because it is.
One More Thing
If you’re worried you don’t have the necessary qualifications or experience, apply anyway. We don’t hire by the number of boxes you check. We hire people who care. If you are keen, you’ll learn on the job the skills you need to be successful.
Okay, One Last Thing
Tell your friends about the job. Don’t worry if they steal it. Postings come up often, and we’re always looking for talented people.
ICOM is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where every team member feels respected, valued, and supported. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment. Accommodations are available on request for all applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation please contact your recruiter.